Sony PlayStation 1 Console Description:
The original Sony PlayStation was Sony Computer Entertainment’s fifth generation classic video game console. The 32-bit PS1 was released in 1994 in Japan and arrived overseas in North America and Europe in 1995. The PlayStation 1 was Sony’s first home video game console and was the first commercially successful CD-based console. Due to the low production cost, publishers flocked to the PlayStation for its CD-ROM format.
The Sony PlayStation console’s global success is said to have influenced the beginning of the end for cartridge-based video game consoles. The PlayStation 1 also went through a number of controller design changes, changing its original controller to the Dual Analog before finally creating the iconic DualShock controller. Using the Multitap add-on, up to eight players could plug their controllers into the PS1 and play.
Sony PlayStation 1 Console Highlights:
- 32-bit Sony PlayStation 1 console
- First commercially successful CD-ROM console
- Most successful console of the fifth generation
- Sony’s first video game console
- Video game highlights include Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy VII, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider and Crash Bandicoot